Monday, June 1, 2015

Thinking Ahead to 2015 Lemon Verbena Harvest

Our Lemon Verbena is waking up to sunshine now, thankfully! The rains are over for a few days, and it's time to think ahead to preserving the harvest this year. 

Last year, 2014, I only had two plants in the garden, from which I harvested enough leaves to make more than two gallons of Lemon Verbena Extract, also called Lemon Verbena Tincture, as well as a couple quart bags of dried leaves for use in cooking and for herb tea. 

These two plants were my first experience growing Lemon Verbena. I guess I fell in love! When the weather got cold last fall in November 2014, I dug them up and kept them in large pots in a cool room by a window with no direct sunlight all winter. They looked like leafless sticks, apparently dead...
 

But that's just what Lemon Verbena does. Then it comes back to life! 

When it was warm enough to set them outdoors again, which was the first week of April this year, I transplanted them into much larger pots where they are growing now, in the garden enclosure with all the seedlings.


Since the months of June and July 2015 are forecast to be rainy, I have devised another plan for protecting plants from pelting, damaging rain and hail storms. Here's a clue, another relic from the above-ground swimming pool, now a garden enclosure:
University of Texas map predicting a rainy June and July this year. Yikes, more rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment