Tuesday, July 19, 2016

My Lemon Verbena Mother Plant in 2016

Here's my Lemon Verbena mother plant in July 2015. It was in a pot since November 2014 when I dug it up out of the garden (it's first year with us) to overwinter in a cold storage space. 


And here's the same plant now, in July 2016, posing alongside some Don Juan roses. Soon I'll cut it back and use the woody cuttings to propagate new plants, setting them in the shade in the 100+ degree Texas summer heat.


Scroll down to the previous post to see what this same plant looked like all winter, 2014 - 2015... It's a scrawny, bare thing, looking lifeless as can be. But, it's just hibernating. Last winter, 2015 - 2016, I left it in the big, white plastic pot outdoors, nestled up against our wooden shed, facing west, with no mulch or protective wrap at all. It survived and is thriving this year, producing plenty of new growth I can cut to start new plants. I know it's time because new green shoots are starting to emerge from the base of the plant. 

It wants to get started growing new shoots all over again now!

(And I want to make these tasty-looking LEMON TAHINI CAKES WITH LEMON VERBENA GLAZE Sasha Swerdloff posted on her elegant blog, Tending The Table.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment