Monday, August 16, 2021

Arkansas Lemon Verbena in Mid-August 2021

 

What a thrill to go out every morning and see growth without damage from the deer families roaming my neighborhood on Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I see them, the neighborhood deer. Three doe and three spotted fawns are picture-book adorable to watch. But my Lemon Verbena is not for them!

They have PLENTY of juicy, green plants to chomp on and I am THRILLED they are choosing to avoid my six experimental Lemon Verbena plants in GrowBoxes this year. THRILLED! 

Having grown Lemon Verbena in various sizes of pots and in the field, I have observed that the roots are frequently quite shallow. The GrowBoxes offer plenty of root space for my experiments. This applies to both sandy loam in the field and high-quality potting soil in containers.

And now that fall is approaching, I am considering yet another Lemon Verbena experiment this year - overwintering the plants to keep them alive for new growth in the spring of 2022. Yes! I am a Lemon Verbena experiment junkie! Stay tuned for my adventures...

Oh, I should explain that the GrowBoxes have been modified with drainage holes in the bottom. As manufactured, they drain only through one hole in the lower part of one long side, and there is a reservoir of water held in the bottom of the planter. 

As manufactured, the GrowBoxes did not work for me, so I changed them for my Lemon Verbena (and also lavender) purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment