Sunday, September 12, 2021

Arkansas Lemon Verbena Harvest 9/12/2021

 

Today is the day! My first Lemon Verbena Harvest from six plants. The neighborhood deer in Arkansas rejected them during the growing season 2021. What a thrill! I had to find out if the deer would demolish the plants before setting about to plant a whole crop. Apparently they do not like the crisp, slightly fuzzy leaves or the strong lemony smell. YAY!!!

I cut the stems with scissors and washed them in the sink because they were growing near bird feeders on my patio. Bird feeders lead to bird droppings, so I always wash the herbs harvested out there.



And now they are spread over a plastic bin with plenty of air circulation. The A/C is on in my house, so these leaves will be crisp after drying all day and over night. Tomorrow morning they will be ready to use! Some people like to use fresh Lemon Verbena leaves, but the dried leaves produce a stronger taste and scent I prefer.


No comments:

Post a Comment